Friday 18 April 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites - A Diet Friendly Easter Treat

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites
A Diet Friendly Easter Treat

healthy easter recipe
So good!
I've had my eye on this recipe for a while (recipe here) so I thought that Easter would be the perfect opportunity to try it out. 

I knew that I didn't want to eat Chocolate Eggs or Bunnies but I didn't really want to go completely without either.   Everyone knows by now that I have an ample supply of Peanut Butters to choose from, so these were the perfect recipe. 

I thought that some of you may be in the same situation as me, so I wanted to share these little treats with you.

low fat easter recipe
Mmm Chocolate Dribbles
Recipe By Cara Lyons
Recipe here
Makes: 36 (Mine made less than this even though I used a Tablespoon)
Hands-on time: 35 minutes
Total time: 3 hours, 5 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal (TRY: Nature’s Path Organic Rice Puffs)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup coconut flour (I used self raising flour as that was all I had) (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour)
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 oz (about 9 tbsp) natural unsalted creamy peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams)
1/4 cup raw honey
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
7 oz (200 grams) 70% dark chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
I had Chocolate left over.

low calorie easter recipe
Can I swim in this? 
INSTRUCTIONS:

Bring a kettle of water to a boil. To a medium heat-proof bowl, add dates. Add boiling water to cover. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove dates from water with a slotted spoon and reserve 2 tbsp of the soaking water; discard remaining water.

Meanwhile, to a food processor, add rice cereal, oats, flour and salt. Process into fine crumbs. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
To food processor, add dates, reserved soaking water, peanut butter and honey. Process until smooth. Add vanilla and process until combined.

Return cereal mixture to food processor and process on high until a soft, sticky dough forms, about 30 seconds.

clean eating dark chocolate
Freshly mixed...where a spoon? 
Using a small cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop 1-tbsp portions of dough and roll into round balls with hands. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

clean chocolate recipe
The balls...hee hee

Using a double boiler or a heat-proof bowl over simmering water on low, melt chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until smooth; keep heat at lowest setting. Remove peanut butter balls from freezer. 

healthy chocolate recipe
Let the excess drip off
Working with one at a time, gently dip in chocolate mixture with a spoon. (I put a toothpick in each one, coated the top by dripping chocolate over it with a spoon and turning the ball around to coat it). 

diet friendly treats
Looking good
Let excess drip off, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.  

low fat truffles
Jackson Pollock inspired? ;)

After 30 minutes I drizzled lines of chocolate over the top because I'm fancy like that ;) 

MAKE AHEAD: Once bites are set, transfer to a resealable freezer bag or covered container and freeze up to one month. Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

weightloss chocolate recipe
Full of goodness

HOW THEY TASTE 

OMG these were delicious!  They were a little different as I added the Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter as others in the household are not Peanut Butter fans (what is up with that?). 

The consistency and taste reminded me a little of the Europe Jupiter Bars that I had when I was a kid, but coated in Dark Chocolate.  I'm not a fan of Dark Chocolate but I loved these and I think it's because the Coconut Oil made it sweeter. 

They are very rich so you can only have one or two, which is good!  

From the non Peanut Butter fussy eater: "These are really good!" with a shocked expression.  Ha ha I was shocked he liked them too! ;)

There really wasn't much of a Peanut Butter taste because of the type I used so I would like to try them again with unblended Peanut Butter. 

THE NITTY GRITTY 

I put it all into My Fitness Pal and they were 121 Calories as I used a few different ingredients. 

my fitness pal
Not bad for a treat :)

I hope you enjoyed this post and the recipe.  

Whatever you do, remember to have a Happy Easter!

Mel xxoxx

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete