Thursday 10 July 2014

iHerb Food Haul - Healthy Snacks




iHerb is one of my favourite online stores, they sell healthy foods, nutritional supplements and beauty products.  The prices are US retail and the shipping to Australia is really quick and inexpensive.  Express shipping is about $8.00 and it arrived in 6 days, you can also chose faster shipping for $12.00 that arrives in about 3 days.  
My previous iHerb haul is here.

I’m on the 1200 calorie Lite n’ Easy plan but I like to add my own food to increase the calories when I exercise.  I think it’s good for me to learn what to eat and slowly give me more confidence in making my own food decisions.  I like to have healthy and delicious snacks around so that when I have cravings I don’t turn to the wrong foods.

If you would like to place an order with iHerb I have a discount code that entitles first buyers to $10 off purchases over $40 and $5 off for orders under $40.  My code is RJB173 which can be entered at checkout.   Once you have completed your first purchase, you will be given your own discount code to pass on.


larabar australia
Larabar Mini Bars
12 Bars, 22g each - $10.06 ($0.83 per bar)

I’m always on the lookout for convenient snacks that you can easily take with you and muesli bars are great for that but the problem is that there is so much crap packed in them these days.  
larabar nutritional facts
Larabar Mini Bars - Nutritional Facts and Ingredients
I’d seen these on iHerb before and the ingredients were really simple, no crap at all, but I didn’t pick them up.  I decided to give them a go this time so I thought a multi pack would be great to try a few of the flavours at once.

larabar peanut choc chip
Larabar Peanut Chocolate Chip
5 Bars, 45 g each - $6.76 ($1.35 per bar)
larabar nutritional information
Larabar Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip - Nutritional Facts and Ingredients
Did you think that once I saw this variety that it wasn’t making it into my cart?  Can’t wait to try these!

atkins treat bars
Atkins Chocolate Caramel Mousse Bars
5 Bars, 34 g each - $5.97 ($1.19 per bar)

I can’t remember the last time I ate a Chocolate Bar, probably a good 7 months ago!  I don’t really get sweet cravings as much as I used to but sometimes I do get them and like to have better alternatives.   I had read several reviews and read that they tasted like Mars Bars so I will have to let you know!

atkins
About Atkins Bars
atkins nutritional facts
Atkins Chocolate Caramel Mousse Bars - Nutritional Facts
atkins bar ingredients
Atkins Chocolate Caramel Mousse Bar - Ingredients
They contain sugar alcohol which is something that I hadn’t really heard of before. 

Long story short, sugar alcohols are found in fruit but need to be specifically named on the product packaging.  They aren’t going to give you cancer like artificial sweeteners but if consumed in excessive amounts may cause bloating and possibly the runs but won’t give you cavities.  :D  It's better for you than eating a Chocolate Bar.

dry roasted edamame
Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame
8 Snack Packs, 22.5 g each - $3.40 ($0.43 per pack)
dry roasted edamame nutritional information
Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame - Nutritional Facts and Ingredients
I figured that these would be a healthier alternative to chips.  Edamame are basically soybeans so it’s a great healthy snack.

puffins peanut butter & chocolate cereal
Barbara's Bakery Puffins Cereal Peanut Butter & Chocolate 
298 g - $5.11 ($0.51 per 30g serve)

I have my Lite n’ Easy cereals for breakfast but I think Cereal is a great snack on it’s own without Milk, crunchy, healthy (if you get the right one) and delicious.  I stumbled across this while shopping the site and thought they sounded delicious but thought it was probably full of sugar and probably not good.  I was wrong.  If you compare the nutritional information of this cereal to that of Lite n’ Easy, this one is pretty good. 

Lite n’ Easy Cereals                       Puffins Cereal
Lowest                 Highest                                               
116 Calories        145 Calories        110 Calories
0.4g Fat                4.2g Fat               1g Fat
10.01g Carbs       26.1g Carbs         4g Carbs
6g Sugar              17.8g Sugar         6g Sugar
2mg Sodium        100mg Sodium    105mg Sodium   

puffins cereal ingredients
Barbara's Bakery Puffins Cereal Peanut Butter & Chocolate - Ingredients
barbaras bakery nutritional facts
Barbara's Bakery Puffins Cereal Peanut Butter & Chocolate - Nutritional Facts            
pb & co australia
Peanut Butter & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams
454 g - $5.45 ($1.20 per 100 grams – *Kraft Peanut Butter $1.22 per 100 grams) *Current price via Woolworths

I have purchased this one before and I love it but it got eaten by others in the house :( so I had to get more.  It’s not a Nutella alternative but it is a great Chocolate spread.  It has the taste of Dark Chocolate but you still get the Peanut Butter coming through too.  I’ve not tasted anything like it.  I’m not a Dark Chocolate fan, but I love this.

pb & co nutrition facts
Peanut Butter & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams - Nutrition Facts
Kraft Peanut Butter        PB & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams
180 cals                                 170 cals
3g sat fat                              2.5g sat fat
120mg sodium                   35mg sodium
8g carbs                                12g carbs
2g fibre                                 2g fibre
2g sugar                               7g sugar
6g protein                           6g protein

just tomatoes etc!
Just Tomatoes Etc! Just Fruit Munchies & Just Strawberries


just tomatoes etc! nutrition facts
Just Tomatoes Etc! Just Fruit Munchies - Nutrition Facts
just tomatoes etc! nutrition facts
Just Tomatoes Etc! Just Strawberries-Nutrition Facts
I wanted to make up a few extra dollars for an extra discount, so I threw these in the cart at the end.  There isn't anything in them except for fruit so I’m interested to see how they taste.


I’m looking forward to trying all these new snacks and incorporating them into my Lite n’ Easy diet.  I will let you know what I think of them and if I would recommend or repurchase them.  

I’d love to know if you've tried any of these products before and what your favourite healthy snacks are, let me know in the comments below! :) 

2 comments:

  1. With bistroMD you can trust that you will not only receive tasty meals, but that every entree and each in bistroMD's weight loss programs will be balanced to bistroMD's custom nutritional platform that's promoting an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Select one of the diet plans for 5 or 7 days of entrees.
    STEP 2 - Review your menu before ordering and choose the meals you prefer for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your diet plan.
    STEP 4 - Your meals are sent to your door.

    ORDER NOW - delivered to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all about healthy snacks, for a hectic life style. healthy snacks

    ReplyDelete